Property Licensing, what you need to know:

As a professional and proactive Lettings Agency, we recognise that the ever-changing legislation regarding property licensing can be confusing and the cause for additional worry for our Landlords. We have summarised the different types of Property License available and while we hope this guide is helpful, you should check with the Local Authority or our Property Licensing team, to ensure you have the necessary license in place. 

  • House in Multiple Occupation or HMO Licence is a mandatory requirement for a property rented out by at least 3 people who are not considered 1 ‘household’ (for example a family) but share facilities such as the bathroom and kitchen.
  • Additional licensing in addition to the mandatory licensing of HMO’s, the Housing Act 2004 gives local authorities the power to impose additional licensing on HMO’s beyond the national mandatory regime. For example, a local authority could extend licensing to include all HMO’s in a specific area, or the whole district, to include those not covered by mandatory licensing.
  • Selective Licensing is a scheme that requires private rented properties to be licensed. It relates to properties which are occupied by one or two tenants or a family and the property is within a designated Selective Licensing zone as defined by the Local Authority. 

Croydon’s original Licensing scheme is shortly due to renew and once the final details have been released, we will contact those that this directly affects.

Hounslow and Enfield councils are introducing a new Additional Licensing scheme from 1st September. For those Landlords with a property within the affected boroughs, our licensing team should have already contacted you.

Lewisham Council are introducing a new borough-wide Selective Licensing scheme, whilst Islington Council are introducing a new Selective Licensing scheme covering Finsbury Park ward and a borough-wide Additional Licensing scheme, but no final dates have been set.

With all these imminent changes our Licensing team will contact Landlords directly if it affects your property and as with all licensing schemes, we are able to support Landlords with their Licence application.

Contact our Licensing team by emailing or call 0207 749 1360 for more information and assistance.

To find out more about our Fully Managed Plus property management service that handles all aspects of letting out your property including keeping your property compliant and safe, contact us today!